Current:Home > StocksChina says Philippines has 'provoked trouble' in South China Sea with US backing -Capitatum
China says Philippines has 'provoked trouble' in South China Sea with US backing
TrendPulse View
Date:2025-04-06 23:44:10
BEIJING — China accused the Philippines on Friday (Dec 13) of having "provoked trouble" in the South China Sea with US backing, a week after Beijing and Manila traded accusations over a new confrontation in the disputed waters.
"The Philippine side, with US support and solicitation, has been stirring up trouble in many spots in the South China Sea," Wu Qian, a spokesperson for China's defence ministry, said on its official WeChat account.
"The Philippines is well aware that the scope of its territory is determined by a series of international treaties and has never included China's" Spratly Islands and Scarborough Shoal, he added.
Beijing and Manila have been involved this year in a series of confrontations at reefs and outcrops in the South China Sea, which China claims almost in its entirety.
The Philippines, Brunei, Malaysia, Taiwan and Vietnam also claim parts of the sea. They are concerned China's expansive claim encroaches into their exclusive economic zones (EEZ), non-territorial waters that extend 200 nautical miles (370 km) from the coasts of a nation's land.
The Philippines' National Maritime Council and its National Security Council did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the latest remarks from Beijing.
The US Navy's 7th Fleet also did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Philippines officials said last week that Chinese coast guard vessels had fired water cannon and side-swiped a Manila fisheries bureau boat on the way to deliver supplies to Filipino fishermen around the Scarborough Shoal, a move that drew condemnation from the US
China's Coast Guard said that four Philippine ships had attempted to enter waters it described as its own around the Scarborough Shoal, which Beijing calls Huangyan Island.
China submitted nautical charts earlier this month to the United Nations that it said supported its claims to the waters, which a 2016 international tribunal found to be a long established fishing ground for fishermen of many nationalities.
Following the charts' submission, a spokesperson for the Philippines' National Maritime Council, said China's claims were baseless and illegal.
The 2016 tribunal ruled that China's claim had no basis under the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS), and that its blockade around the Scarborough Shoal was in breach of international law.
Beijing has never recognised the decision.
Sovereignty over the Scarborough Shoal has never been established.
The Philippines and other members of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations have spent years negotiating a code of conduct with Beijing for the strategic waterway, with some nations in the bloc insisting that it be based on UNCLOS.
EEZs give the coastal nation jursidiction over living and nonliving resources in the water and on the ocean floor.
[[nid:712152]]
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (79)
Related
- 'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
- Apocalyptic bus crash near Venice kills at least 21, Italian authorities say
- Pennsylvania House passes legislation to complete overdue budget. Decisions now lie with the Senate
- Judge denies Sidney Powell's motion to dismiss her Georgia election interference case
- $73.5M beach replenishment project starts in January at Jersey Shore
- Judge denies Sidney Powell's motion to dismiss her Georgia election interference case
- Man with handgun seeking governor arrested in Wisconsin Capitol, returns with assault rifle
- Simone Biles pushes U.S. team to make gymnastics history, then makes some of her own
- Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains
- You’re admitted: Georgia to urge high school seniors to apply in streamlined process
Ranking
- Questlove charts 50 years of SNL musical hits (and misses)
- Study shows Powerball online buying is rising. See why else the jackpot has grown so high.
- Paris is having a bedbug outbreak. Here's expert advice on how to protect yourself while traveling.
- Inside the Lindsay Shiver case: an alleged murder plot to kill her husband in the Bahamas
- Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
- 4 doctors were gunned down on a Rio beach and there are suspicions of a political motive
- U.S. to restart deportations to Venezuela in effort to reduce record border arrivals
- Invasive snails that can be deadly to humans found in North Carolina
Recommendation
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
The Taylor Swift jokes have turned crude. Have we learned nothing?
Billboard Latin Music Awards 2023: The Complete List of Winners
Apocalyptic bus crash near Venice kills at least 21, Italian authorities say
How to watch the 'Blue Bloods' Season 14 finale: Final episode premiere date, cast
Washington state governor requests federal aid for survivors of August wildfires
Monkey with sprint speeds as high as 30 mph on the loose in Indianapolis; injuries reported
Nigeria’s president faces new challenge to election victory as opposition claims he forged diploma